If you are looking for a way to organise and protect your servers, network equipment and other IT devices, you might want to consider investing in a server rack. A server rack is a metal frame that holds and secures various components of a computer system. Server racks come in different sizes, shapes and designs, depending on your needs and preferences. In this article, we will explain what server racks are, the types available, their uses and benefits, and how you can find the best server rack in Singapore for your business.
What is a server rack?
A server rack is a standardised enclosure that houses one or more servers, switches, routers, power distribution units (PDUs), cables and other IT equipment. A server rack provides physical security, cooling, power management and cable management for the devices inside. Server racks are typically mounted on the floor, on the wall or on a desk, depending on the space available and the weight of the equipment.
Types of server racks
There are many types of server racks, but the most common ones are:
- Open frame server racks: These are server racks that have no doors, panels or sides. They offer easy access, ventilation and visibility, but they also expose the equipment to dust, noise and physical damage. Open-frame server racks are suitable for environments that have low security and temperature requirements, such as labs, testing rooms or workshops.
- Enclosed server racks: These are server racks that have doors, panels and sides that enclose the equipment. They offer protection, security and noise reduction, but they also limit the airflow and accessibility. Enclosed server racks with cooling are suitable for environments that have high security and temperature requirements, such as data centres, offices or warehouses. Some enclosed server racks have cooling systems built-in, such as fans, vents or air conditioners, to maintain the optimal temperature for the equipment. These are called enclosed server racks with cooling.
- Wall mount server racks: These are server racks that are attached to the wall, either horizontally or vertically. They are ideal for small spaces, such as closets, cabinets or corners. They can hold a few servers, switches or routers, but they have limited depth and weight capacity. Wall mount server racks are suitable for environments that have low to medium security and temperature requirements, such as home offices, classrooms or retail stores.
Size, depth and rack units
Server racks are measured by their height, width and depth. The height and width are usually expressed in rack units (U), which are standardised units of measurement for IT equipment. One rack unit is equal to 1.75 inches (44.45 mm). The depth is usually expressed in inches or millimetres, depending on the manufacturer.
The most common server rack size is 42U, which means it can hold 42 rack units of equipment. If you are looking for a 43U server rack, Cybermax has got you covered. However, server racks can range from 6U to 58U, depending on the size and number of devices you want to store.
The most common server rack width is 19 inches (482.6 mm), which is the standard width for most IT equipment. However, some server racks have a width of 23 inches (584.2 mm) or 24 inches (609.6 mm), which can accommodate larger or non-standard devices.
The most common server rack depth is 36 inches (914.4 mm), which is the standard depth for most servers. However, some server racks have a depth of 24 inches (609.6 mm), 42 inches (1066.8 mm) or 48 inches (1219.2 mm), which can accommodate deeper or shallower servers.
When choosing a server rack, you should consider the size, depth and rack units of your equipment, as well as the space available and the weight limit of the rack. We recommend the 42U server rack, as it is most convenient for day-to-day use. You should also leave some extra space for future expansion, cable management and airflow.
Uses and benefits
Server racks are used for various purposes, such as:
- Organising and securing your equipment: Server racks help you keep your equipment neat and tidy, by arranging them in a logical and efficient way. Server racks also help you protect your equipment from theft, vandalism, dust, moisture, overheating and electromagnetic interference, by providing a locked and enclosed environment.
- Improving performance and reliability: Server racks help you improve the performance and reliability of your equipment, by providing adequate cooling, power and network connectivity. Server racks also help you prevent overheating, power surges, network failures and other issues that can affect your equipment’s functionality and lifespan.
- Saving space and money: Server racks help you save space and money, by maximising the use of your available floor, wall or desk space. Server racks also help you reduce your energy and maintenance costs, by optimising the airflow, power and network efficiency of your equipment.
Find Your Perfect Server Rack at Cybermax Today!
Server racks are essential for any business that relies on IT equipment for its operations. Server racks help you organise, protect, improve and save your equipment, by providing a standardised and secure enclosure. If you are looking for the best server rack in Singapore, check out Cybermax, a leading provider of server racks and other IT solutions. Cybermax offers a wide range of server racks in Singapore, from open frame to enclosed, from wall mount to floor standing, from 6U to 58U, from 19 inches to 24 inches, from 24 inches to 48 inches. We also offer customised server racks, according to your specific needs and preferences.
Whether you need a server rack for your home, office, warehouse or data centre, Cybermax has the perfect solution for you. Visit our website to learn more about our products and services, or contact us today for a free consultation and quote.